Thursday, May 25, 2006

Updatezinho

Hi all,

Just a quick update... We´re not feeling too well today, especially me (mike). I´ve agravated my back, which is a recurring injury for me, but it´s never been this bad. Despite that we´ve been taking one capoeira class a day. On Monday we went to a class in Rio Doce, which was taught by a few different people, as the instructors showed up one by one... we always joke at home that things at capoeira are running on Brazilian time, so I guess this is the real deal ;).

On Tuesday we went to Soldado´s academy, where Mestre taught the class... it was raining pretty hard, and the roof was leaking, and there were about twice as many people as the room could handle. Mestre taught a bit of Angola, and we had a roda. This was a fun roda, but unfortunately I hurt my leg. I threw a martelo, and the guy I was playing didn´t have time to esquiva, so he just defended his face and drove his elbow into my leg... ouch.

On Wednesday we were back in Rio Doce, and had yet another instructor teach the class. This was CD. I don´t know what belt he has, but he was only able to teach a few movements before we started a roda, as we (along with Mestre, Soldado, Jan, etc) were late. Mestre added his energy to the roda, as well as a few visitors (China for one).

The rodas have been fun so far, and I´m starting to feel more comfortable playing in them. It´s definitely different, as there are tons of talented capoeiristas, and I don´t know who is who, and what level everyone is at because they don´t always wear cords.

On Wednesday we also went down to Mercado Sao Jose and walked to Isla Recife to find a tourist info booth... we want to start to get our bearings better, as so far we just go where we´re taken. It seems to be a bit difficult, especially with minibuses, who´s drivers and money takers are crazy! Leanna flinches everytime we almost hit something (which is often).

The weather here is pretty variable... goes from hot to rainy and hot and back again, all in the same day! Everyone has been super nice so far... we´ve heard lots of stories of people being taken advantage of, but it´s been the opposite so far. People have bought drinks for us on a couple different occasions, and been very generous.

ok... that´s all for now... I´m going back home to resume laying in the fetal position.
mike & Leanna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home